As predicted I spent much of day 3 at the RSN unpicking! But funnily enough, not the chain stitching that I had anticipated, but the trellis stitch. I have to admit that I was on the verge of doing this anyway as it was not very accurate, far too small, and I was unsure how I would fit in all the filling stitches I had planned.
Once I had finished the trellis grid I then went on to filling the second hillock with brick stitch. This is described in the RSN guide as an arrangement of stitches that have been sewn so that they are offset from one anther to produce a shaded filling. I wanted to follow the shape of the hillock, but it was suggested this might be more difficult – so I have ended up running the stitching in line with the grain of the fabric. I also made a start on the vines around the main stems using raised stem band stitch – which I also took out twice! The mistletoe leaves have been split stitched around the edge and filled ready to go over with satin stitch – although this will be done again as it looks very untidy. Here is the progress so far….
So my homework for the next two weeks is to outline all the leaves in split stitch, finish the satin stitch leaves and chain stitch stem – ready to be unpicked on day 4!!!