Half term has meant that I have a little time to get myself ready for day 4 at the RSN next Saturday – so in amongst the report writing (and thinking how to say, tactfully, that some ones child is somewhat challenging in class), I have found a few spare hours to complete some of the homework I was set. Honestly, I don’t know how people manage to complete each piece of work during the 2 week intensive courses at Hampton Court – I must be on week number 3 already and I know I still have some unpicking to do!
So I set up my trestles by the bedroom window and got started – the view isn’t in quite the same league as the one at the palace – but it is quite a light place to stitch and the Cornus is looking lovely at the moment!
My main focus has been on finishing all the chain stitching on the right hand branch. I then started on the raised stem stitch vines around the branch. First I put in some evenly spaced bars in a ladder formation and then stem stitched into them. It produces a nice raised stitch (as the name implies) and you can add shading detail by varying the colours of wool that you use.
I have to say that I am quite glad that I have finished this area of the design – as the chain stitch really is hard on the eyes! I am still a bit worried that the whole design looks a little flat and uninteresting – but am sure I will get lots of feedback on Saturday. I only hope that I don’t have to unpick too much as it can be a little demoralising! All I need to do now is outline the mistletoe leaves in stem stitch.