I seem to have spent most of this week at Hampton Court – not that I am complaining. Today I was back to working on my Jacobean crewel work. I have become very frustrated with this piece and have not been sure what direction to take it in. I was particularly worried about the lack of progress with the large flower at the top right of the design. I think the main problem is my lack of knowledge of the way that different stitches will fill the spaces.
However after a day with Sara Meanwell as tutor – I feel that I have finally made some progress. With only three students to the one tutor, it meant that we were able to spend a lot of time sorting out problems and making stitch choices.
Although I didn’t manage to do that much in the way of stitching, I did make a start on the flowers and am now more confident about what to do next. I have chosen to keep the flowers more open and use a number of different decorative edging stitches.
For the smaller flower I outlined in scroll stitch (a), filled the centre with fly stitch (b) and now only need to complete the long and short stitching in the leaves (c). For the larger flower I stitched a centre of trellis which I then bordered in raised button hole and stem stitch (d), a combination I particularly liked, the second outline is heavy chain stitch (e) and finally coral stitch (f). I think I will then fill with French knots and seeding. We have also decided on a number of stitches for the flower sepals – which means more long and short (not my favourite!).
Meanwhile, back home in the garden, it is all about the lilies, They seem to have flowered early and all at the same time. I whizzed out between thunder showers to picture them before they are ruined. I love lilies, particularly their scent which fills the air on warm days.