I have been continuing with my goldwork bird whilst the rain hammers down outside (so much for the British summer!), mostly working on the cutwork leaves. From a distance they look quite tidy, but under closer inspection I am a little disappointed. I know the theory – if you cut the pieces too long they will buckle and crack, too small and you will not fill the space – but in practice I just can’t get it right!
I think I am getting the hang of s-ing, but, because of the order that we did things in, I am finding that I keep catching the little shards and causing them to crack.
I have used super lizerine to outline the body of the bird – this is like pearl purl except finer and tougher to stretch and cut. I have learnt a lot by sewing this little piece but, as with everything, I would probably do a lot better on a second attempt.