I managed to finish the little canvas work sampler this week, and as I was unable to get to a sewing shop or on line – decided to keep stitching to see how much more I could get out of the kit resources. The brown ran out first, meaning that I had to resort to counting on the squares before stitching – but I think that the other coloured wools will stretch to another 25 squares! So if you ever wonder if you are provided with enough resources – you certainly are with this kit. Now that I am home I managed to find a similar brown to tent stitch around the boxes.
One thought though – it is far more difficult to tent stitch the edges after the main stitching has been put in place – resulting in uneven looking stitches.
I have chosen to use 6 new stitches in the second square. These include (so far), byzantine stitch (a), chequer stitch (b), alternating cross stitch (c) and star stitch (d). I quite like the look of the byzantine and chequer stitches as they have a smooth finish to them, but did not enjoy the alternating cross stitch – finding the edges looked messy however I tried to finish them off. Just hope that I have enough canvas at the bottom of the square for the final row!
As to my garden, well it can always be described as a bit of a jungle – but following a holiday – the jungle has got a little out of hand. The lilies have all gone over and the phlox now takes centre stage. As I cut back the dying foliage it is great to find my other artistic efforts in metal work and pottery!