I have made a little (and I mean a little) progress on my beetle brooch. I drew two pictures of a stylized beetle onto cotton poplin, backed by calico and popped these into an embroidery hoop. I then tried two ways of stuffing the image.
I covered one image in muslin and stitched over the lines of the drawing, leaving a gap at the bottom of the abdomen. I then stuffed this and created striations along the abdomen by stitching down into the stuffing. This method was reasonable quick to complete – but you need to be careful when stuffing as the muslin is easy to tear. I am not quite sure what I will do with the head section yet.
For the second beetle I used the more traditional felt stuffed method. I have yet to add further padding to create the ridges over the body. But not yet sure about this as I might embroider two wings and attach these over the body.
Both methods were reasonably quick, but as you can see I have left the more difficult head shape for later. I will also need to think about how to attach six legs!