Now that all the Christmas festivities are over, and the decorations have come down, I feel ready to get back to my RSN Crewel work piece. I am at that point where there seems to be lots of little fiddly bits to finish off – all of which take a lot longer to complete than I originally thought they would!
After an afternoon of sewing (and listening to drama on Radio 4), I managed to complete the french knots on the cap of the birds head and fill in the trellis work. I also slip stitched around the trellis work in dark brown. I am not too sure about using this colour as it looks dark and ‘clunky’ – unfortunatly there were lots of brown starting stitches that needed to be covered in this area.
I also made a start on the small circles around the outside of the larger flower. I had originally thought of doing these in turkey rug stitch but my tutors advised against this. Next I tried raised satin stitch – but as the circles are so small it became very fiddly. I finally settled on the little whipped wheels in a single colour.
The overall piece now looks like this………..
I still am at a loss as to what stitch to use for the throat of the bird and the tail. Tutors suggested feather stitch for the tail- but I really didn’t like this. I am also a bit worried about the flatness of the birds head – I think it might be time for another session at Hampton Court, but I was hoping that the next time I went in I would be mounting this piece!