Just a quick update on my RSN crewel work coursework. I spent a quiet afternoon finishing off all the little ‘bitty’ bits – by which I mean all those little gaps that I had been putting off! First I filled the bottom petals of the large flower with herringbone stitch – although I am not sure that I like this. I think I will have to live with it for a while. I then broke up the birds breast with detached fly stitch. Finally I used scalloped buttonhole to create feathers under the birds chin. Again I am not sure about this either!
So all I now need to do now are the birds legs and feet, and the large petals of the flower, and maybe a little stitching around the unfurling ferns. This is how the piece looks at the moment. I hope to finish it soon as I am really beginning to dislike it – purely because it is not how I imagined it would look.