Stitching in reverse, or unpicking! It was pointed out to me that the colours I had used on the throat of the mistle thrush drew the eye to the centre and detracted from the rest of the head. Once this was pointed out – it really began to annoy me, so the scalloped button hole had to be unpicked, and today was the day!
It was actually much harder to unpick than I had anticipated. Finally all that was left of my original efforts was a small bundle of wool ends. I then set to redoing the area – but this time graduating the colours from dark to light.
I think it looks better, although I am still not sure about the darkest colour. But this is how it will have to stay as I don’t want to damage the canvas beneath.