This Friday I finally finished sewing on the sateen backing to my Jacobean Crewel work and handed it in – apparently just in time for the Easter assessments (fingers crossed!). I then started to mount up my canvas for the next module. You have a choice of black work or canvas stitching – but having looked at other peoples’ black work I don’t think that I am quite ready for it! The canvas was sewn onto the slate frame and then webbing was attached along the side edges with button hole thread. I stopped at this point and left the lacing for later as my hands were very sore and I had drawn blood several times!
After much searching I have decided to use a piece of art by the Russian artist, Sergey Smirnov, entitled ‘Sunrise’. The colours are very strong and the design uses quite simple large shapes – with nothing too fiddly. My first job was to trace the design onto tracing paper. I included all the details I could, which apparently was unnecessary. The tracing was then photocopied many times and I am now awaiting my next lesson to find out what comes next!
Back to Jenny Wren…..
I have just started on the wings which are little needle cases. Making the little feathers on the wings was a new process for me and a joy to stitch.