A trip back to Hampton Court today, and I could complete the next stage of framing up my canvas piece. Having previously attached the canvas to the frame I simply needed to lace the sides with string to pull the material ‘drum tight’.
The next stage was to transfer the design to the canvas. First I had to measure out the finished picture and tack an outline edge onto the fabric – making sure the lines fell on the grain (this is the light blue line that you can see in the picture). The design was then placed under the canvas and was simple drawn on to the material.
As I have very little experience of this type of canvas work, I have decided to do a little experimental work first – mixing shades of wool/silk etc and using different stitches. So I also transferred the design onto two scrap pieces of canvas. I know that this will increase my stitching time – but hope that it will improve the finished product. I almost wish that I had done this before starting my Jacobean module – as I might have been happier with the results.
And of course – I got to choose lots of new, lovely colours of wools and silks to add to those that I already had.