A frustrating trip to the RSN this week, which led to more confusion in my head as to where to go with my canvas work. Owen spent a long time with me explaining all the different stitch families that I could use, producing hundreds (I exaggerate slightly) of photocopies of even more stitches, which really blew my mind! We also talked about how to blend different shades of thread, but he stressed the need to be aware of not using too little or too many threads. I understood all this in principle – but found it almost impossible to apply to my blank canvas. I mean – how do you know what ‘too many’ threads looks like? And with so many stitches to choose from, how do you narrow them down? Finally, how do you get the texture you want?
After spending the whole morning pontificating – trying out different combinations on my trial canvas – Owen finally got fed up and told me that I would just have to start and see where it took me. So I made a tentative start …….. and this is how far I got!
I decided to start with the horses leg which I have worked in Jacquard stitch and then merged this into byzantine stitch. The colour is very hard to recreate as it is very flat in the picture and I have erred on the side of orange/brown rather than hard reds. As you can see from the photos, there are already a large number of threads on the canvas – even for this small area. I am still not sure what to do next – but at least it is a start.
I think the garden is feeling my pain – it looks decidedly wet and grey this weekend – so I couldn’t even get out for a gardening break!
Right – off to look at other peoples’ canvas work for inspiration….
Happy stitching everyone.