Last week, after so much heat this summer, the garden got a welcome break in the weather and a well earned drink! This meant only one thing….time to sew!
I decided to tackle the next stage on my Jenny Wren Etui by Jenny Adin-Christie;the needle lace that will be stretched over the birds back. I had been putting it off for a while as it is a technique that I have not tried before. The needle lace is worked over a pattern piece and stiff Vilene. It is very labour intensive and time consuming – but I really enjoyed the process. This is how far I got after about 5 hours….
The stitches used were: (a) – corded button hole stitch (b) – corded buttonhole variation
(c) – buttonhole scallops (d) – tied buttonhole stitch (e) – ardenza point
I had to give up at this point as I then made a mistake on the next line – believe me, needle lace is very hard to unpick without damaging the previous stitches. I also found that my shoulders and neck really started to hurt as my posture when sewing was obviously all wrong!
Here is my progress after 12 hours work (spread out over three days)…
Stitch tension is vital when sewing needle lace. I normally work with a very tight stitch tension which was fine for the more dense areas, but the loops were harder for me to get consistent in size. It is not perfect, but I would definitely try needle lace again.
The stitches on the bottom half of the lace are: (a) -padded buttonhole (b) – pea stitch
(c) – buttonhole wings
All I have to do now is cut all the tacking stitches, knots and thread ends and remove the lace from the backing. Nerve wracking times after the all the hours it took to get this far! Just hope nothing unravels!