I have been trawling through Pinterest looking for little projects to sew and found a lovely pincushion design by Heidi Staples. It is a larger cushion with a pocket front for sewing accessories. I ordered her, ‘Sew Organised for the Busy Girl’ book, but was too impatient to wait for it’s arrival – so had a go at making something similar.
I started by cutting 9 squares (just over an inch square) and sewed them together. I then bordered these on all four sides with 4 strips of complimentary material (I did the two sides first and then put larger strips across the top and bottom of the squares). After placing some interfacing behind I quilted across the block in simple straight lines.
A lining piece was sewn to the back of my rectangle and then I cut two larger rectangles to form the main body of the pincushion – I can’t quite remember the dimensions that I used – sorry!
The front pocket was then layered on top of one of the larger rectangles with right sides facing uppermost. A lace trim was placed along the top and the other large rectangle was placed over all of this with right side facing downwards.
I then sewed around all the edges leaving a gap at the bottom to turn everything in the right way, stuffed the pillow before sewing up the gap.
It is a little rough around the edges, but I do quite like it. The book arrived after I had completed the project but there are still a number of projects that I would like to try.