I finally got back into my canvas work this weekend after a long summer break. Following a trip to the RSN I managed to finalise the stitches for the last elements on the canvas to be sewn. Last time you saw it – it looked like this….
After much sampling I decided to use long and short stitch for the woman’s hair. It seemed to be the only stitch that would flow around the shape and create a definite parting at the top of her head. The lower left hand corner of orange ‘squares’ was also proving problematic as they were a mix of almost square and almost rectangular shapes on a bend. After talking with the tutors, I finally settled on a Bargello stitch. This gave the impression of a curved area – but still gave blocks of colour. The area around the face was to be turkey rug as I wanted a velvety look for the coats collar. So after a day of stitching here is my progress….
The turkey rug needs a little shaping around the woman’s nose and chin as it looks rather lumpy – but other than that I am nearly finished. Yippee! Just a couple of little bits to fill in and then I can take this off the frame and get it mounted.
Roll on Goldwork!
Happy stitching everyone!